Understanding Annual Conference: Districts prepare for May pre-conference trainings
By Jessica Brodie
Next month, South Carolina United Methodists will have the opportunity to discuss and learn about a host of items slated for Annual Conference (June 5-8 in Florence).
Districts will offer pre-Annual Conference trainings on three Sundays in May: May 1, 15 and 22. (See below for the districts’ dates, times and locations.) Members of Annual Conference are encouraged to attend the trainings to better understand the items up for debate and approval, including the budget, insurance and pensions, resolutions, disaster response and more.
Many of these will be included in pre-conference materials, which will be mailed to members of Annual Conference in mid-April and available online at www.umcsc.org/ac2016.
“It gives them a preview of things we may want to have deep conversation about at Annual Conference,” said the Rev. Ken Nelson, conference secretary.
Matt Brodie, communications director, said the trainings are a good opportunity both for new and longtime attendees.
“It’s their chance to learn about issues and things happening at Annual Conference that they should be aware of and have that discussion beforehand so it doesn't all have to happen at Annual Conference, a chance for people to dialogue and get to know the subject matter before it hits the floor and comes up for a vote,” he said.
Annual Conference is held each year and is the opportunity for South Carolina United Methodists to gather, pray, vote and ultimately decide the business of the UMC in this state. It is the primary form of denominational government.
For more on Annual Conference 2016: www.umcsc.org/ac2016.
May Pre-Conference Trainings
- Anderson District—May 1, 3-4 p.m., Trinity UMC, 1809 North Main St., Anderson
- Charleston District—May 15, 3 p.m., Charleston Korean UMC, 2745 Shadow Ln., North Charleston
- Columbia District—May 15, 2-3 p.m., Main Street UMC, 1830 Main St., Columbia
- Florence District—May 15, 4-5:30 p.m., Lake City UMC, 229 W. Main St., Lake City
- Greenville District— May 22, 3-4:30 p.m., St. Mark UMC, 911 St. Mark Rd., Taylors
- Greenwood District—May 22, 3-5 p.m., St. Paul UMC, 102 E. Butler Ave., Saluda
- Hartsville District— May 1, 3-5 p.m., First UMC, 117 Third St., Cheraw
- Marion District— May 22, 3 p.m., at Bethel UMC, 630 S, Main St., Marion
- Orangeburg District—May 1, 4:30 p.m., St. Andrews UMC, Hwys. 178 and 21, Orangeburg
- Rock Hill District—May 1, 3 p.m., Aldersgate UMC, 2115 Celanese Rd., Rock Hill
- Spartanburg District— May 15, 3 p.m., St. Paul UMC, 1320 Fernwood Glendale Rd., Spartanburg
- Walterboro District— May 1, 4 p.m., at New Life UMC, 763 Green Pond Hwy., Walterboro